Re: Some questions on HLink

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:21:53 +0900 (JST)
To: tbray@textuality.com
Cc: steven.pemberton@cwi.nl, www-tag@w3.org

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> - I note the Status of this Doc says "...does not imply endorsement ...
> of members of the HTML Working Group."  Since lots of W3C WDs do not
> carry this disclaimer, I wonder if it is just boilerplate or not. Could
> Steven or someone else from HTML WG expand on this a bit?

Pretty much boilerplate thing.  You can find exactly the same
paragraph in the first Working Draft of XFrames [1]:

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xframes-20020806/#status

> Is this a
> trial balloon, or something that the WG is pretty well agreed on?  I.e.
> is the default action that this shows up in XHTML 2.x?  I note there are
> open issues; does consensus exist outside of these?

The HTML WG did review this document at their face-to-face meeting
last week and did agree to publish it as a Working Group product,
as the TAG requested us to publish it as soon as possible.  But that
doesn't mean everyone in the Working Group agrees on everything in
this document.  If that's the case, we'd go straight to Last Call.
This is just the first Working Draft.

The HTML WG is chartered to "[d]evelop solutions for linking in
the XHTML Family" [2], but we intentionally didn't say "Proposed
Recommendation for HLink" so that we don't bind ourselves to one
possible solution.  We are open to discussion.

[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter#linking

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org