Re: How to Version XML Applications

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:19:57 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

/ Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> was heard to say:

/ "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> was heard to say:
| Does this mean that the namespace of a given XML vocabulary should never
| change?

But I think one could go a step further in answer to your question.

From the point of view of applications that examine the namespace name
and local name of an element to determine the vocabulary to which it
belongs, it isn't simply a "should never", it's a "can never".

To those applications, if you change the namespace name, you haven't
changed the namespace of the vocabulary, you've *changed the
vocabulary* by definition.

That may be a lot more painful than you'd like for a transition from
V1.0 to V1.1.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | Why shouldn't things be largely absurd,
XML Standards Architect | futile, and transitory? They are so, and we