RE: "absolute URI reference" considered awkward (and in one case, overly constraining)

Hi Tim, Dan,

So to play things back my summary is that:

1) There is no proposal to change the meaning of the term URI Reference.

2) You propose that we use the term URI for identifiers that syntactically
match the *absolute* form of URI Reference defined in 2396.

...and the implicit question is perhaps... what's wrong with that?

I think that implicit in the proposal is the resolution of the question of
whether URI References with and without fragment identifiers both identify
resources. Settle that question one way or the other and it becomes
easy(ier) to accept or reject the definition of term URI that includes
fragment IDs. Defining the term URI in the way you propose  seems to settle
this question by stealth.

Is the resource referenced by URI reference

	http://example.org/aDoc#frag1

the same as the resource referenced by the URI reference

	http://example.org/aDoc#frag2

where #frag1 and #frag2 identify different parts of any retrieved
representations?

One view, the "RFC2396 section 4 paragraph 1" view, says... yes these two
references each refer to the same resource - the resource identified by the
URI reference http://example.org/aDoc.

The other view, your view..., says no, each reference refers to a different
resource.

I think that there is appeal in what you propose, but I think it would be
disasterous if there is a divergence in terminology between the W3C/TAG
architecture document and RFC2396 and its successors.

> > > Stuart and company, are you *sure* you don't want to use
> > > the term URI to include things like http://example/x#y?

Personnally... I think that defining URI this way, without concensus with
the community revising RFC2396, will lead to further confusion rather than
clarity.

Regards

Stuart