Re: "absolute URI reference" considered awkward (and in one case, overly constraining)

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:54:37 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Dan Connolly wrote:

> But there's some subtlety... the "endpoints" of the link
> are absolute URI references, even though the syntax
> of the reference is relative. I suppose we just explained
> that a few paragraphs above in the bit about relative
> URI references.

Right some language in the doc would be appropriate to make it clear
that we understand the difference between the syntactic expression
embedded in some resource and the version that actually gets used to
access resources.

> Stuart and company, are you *sure* you don't want to use
> the term URI to include things like http://example/x#y?

I think a few of us would like this, but we would be pretty severely
inconsistent with RFC2396. -Tim