Re: Proposed changes to Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:58:42 -0400
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 11:35 am, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> 1) Changes to registration requirements in light of
>     a better understanding of interactions between
>     W3C, IETF, and IANA processes. Joseph Reagle
>     has written a document entitled ""How to Register a
>     Media Type with IANA" [4].

Ian, removing the particulars and referring to this document instead
satisfies my concerns with the TAG finding. (However, I'll note I'm not yet
confident that there is agreement from the IESG about the particulars of
[4].) My only concern is with the comprehensibility of "no later than"
sentences -- the always muddle me!

>       "The IETF registration forms MUST be available for
>        review along with the specification no later than
>        Candidate Recommendation (or at last call if the
>        Working Group expects to advance directly to Proposed
>        Recommendation). The IETF registration forms SHOULD be
>        available for review no later than last call."

"The media type registration information SHOULD be available for review
during W3C Last Call and MUST be available prior to W3C Candidate
Recommendation."

(Skipping "CR" is a (theoretical?) exception/possibility and I don't see any
need to qualify every bit of process with it.)