RE: First public WD of "Architectural Principles of the World Wid e Web"

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:30:52 +0100
To: "'Anthony B. Coates'" <abcoates@TheOffice.net>
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Hi Tony,

<snip/>

> It sounds more like you need a MIME type or HTTP header to indicate that a
URI
> dereferences a concept, rather than a representation.  At least user
agents
> would know what was happening then, and could take more sophisticated
action.

So I think the syntactic device that TBL uses to make this distinction is
the use of the '#' character at the end of namespace names. The UA can then
be programmed with this distinction in mind.

I think this explains why TBL is comfortable with the position that http URI
identify documents and SHOULD/MUST NOT be used to identify real-world
concrete things like particular people or their cars or abstract concepts.
And why he is comfortable to use http URI+fragments to identify such
concrete real-world things and abstract concepts.

In the namespaces case the unadorned URI would identify the document.
URI+nullFragment would identify the namespace.

I'm not saying I agree with Tim's postion, but I think I'm coming close(r)
to understanding it.

> 	Cheers,
> 		Tony.
> ====
> Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
> mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
> MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
> http://www.mddl.org/

Cheers,

Stuart Williams