RE: First public WD of "Architectural Principles of the World Wide Web"

From: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:38:35 +0200
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

I'm generally pleased that this document has the light of day. So far I've
only noticed one statement I'm really uncomfortable with :

9. Do not use unregistered URI schemes: Unregistered URI schemes MUST NOT be
used on the public Internet.

I suggest a change in the wording to "Unregistered URI schemes SHOULD NOT be
used on the public Internet".

Otherwise I believe this means I must not set up a myscheme:server in that
corner of the room and connect to it with a myscheme:browser over in this
corner using the Internet to transport the data, unless myscheme: registered
with IANA.

The main problem with this is that it is contrary to a spirit of
experimentation. Specific criticisms I'd start with are :

* it leads to a Catch 22 - a wonderful new scheme isn't likely to get
registered if it doesn't work, and can't be tested live unless it's
registered.

*  looking at Dan Connolly's scheme list [1], perhaps half don't conform to
the "Architectural Principles" document - are these all really against the
architectural principles of the web?

* inconsistency - requiring IANA registration makes for an exclusive set of
schemes, yet protocols & formats are described as non-exclusive.

Surely the guidelines in rfc2718 are enough.

If the document is intended to describe the architectural principles, then
it should take into account change and evolution, and not ask for a web
frozen at the start of the century.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1]http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes#nfmcc1994