Re: Are we elements or animals? (was: Use of fragment identifiers in XML)

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 06:44 PM, pat hayes wrote:
> RDF documents do not DESCRIBE fragments. They USE them.

I have a triple:

ex:John rdf:type <http://www.example.org/#Dog> .

I grab http://www.example.org/, it's an RDF document that says (in
part):

<rdf:Description rdf:about="#Dog">
   <dc:description>a dog, an animal with four legs</dc:description>
</rdf:Description>

According to the URI spec (via the links I cited), the #Dog is an XML
element. I suspect that RDF wants it to be a thing with four legs.
Which is John?

> Nothing outside of RDF can specify what meaning RDF assigns to a
> string of characters containing a hash mark.

Sure, if RDF wants to live in its own little world, that's fine. But
it's annoying to have some contradicting specs and I suspect it will
run into problems when we try to put stuff together.
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] "Curb your consumption," he said.