RE: Why not XHTML+RDF? was Re: Links are links

TBL wrote:

> There is a boundary over which RDF could be used.

  I'd prefer a wall, a high one. But then that's being facetious. Sorry.
  RDF is for machines IMO, not manual editing.

> A solution for example is to make a hypertext link
> using html:a  or xlink:href or whatever to indicate the
> hypertext nature of the link, but then to use RDF to express
> the relationships between various alternative long texts in different
> languages,
> which is the sort of thing RDF is natural for.
>
> This would move longdesc out of HTML's purview into
> a very reusable metadata vocabulary which could be used in
> all kinds of different ways with different specs.

>     <rdf:Description rdf:about="car.png">
>         <wai:longdesc rdf:resource="car_en.txt"/>
>         <wai:longdesc rdf:resource="car_fr.txt"/>
>         <wai:audioalt rdf:resource="car_en.wav"/>
>     </rdf:Description>
>
>     <rdf:Description rdf:about="car_en.txt"
>         wai:summary="A black convertible a little the worse for wear">
>         <i18n:lang>en</i18n:lang>
>     </rdf:Description>
>
>     <rdf:Description rdf:about="car_fr.txt">
>         <i18n:lang>fr</i18n:lang>
>     </rdf:Description>
>
> With longdesc moved out, one of the problems of using xlink
> (or hlink)  goes
> away:
> that of trying to do attributes on attributes and many links from one
> element. And the problem of adderssing more  complex
> multilingual/multmedia
> cases
> is solved.  And it kinda blends with cc/pp coming form the
> other direction.
>
> So this would leave a link itself as a simpler thing.

And make the chances of people using wai ns'd stuff about nil?
Thanks Tim. Just look at the crap in the way in your example.
It'd scare the pants off 98% of web authors.
  Nice ns based solution, but if we're asking for manually generated
content, which is the case here for longdesc, then thanks, but no thanks.

When are you going to pull the xml namespace (family silver) out?
  Surely a hypertext link is about as fundemental as it could get?

Regards DaveP.

******* snip here *********

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk