Re: examples as opportunity (was Re: XHTML & hyper...)

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:47:24 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

I wrote earlier:
> (Possible alternatives for such external linkbases, also already
> written, include RDF and XML Topic Maps.  Other alternatives include
> some kind of AF-like approach or a vocabulary created with explicit
> XHTML resonance.)

Offlist, I've had a suggestion that Weblogs in general and RSS in
particular provide some linkbase-like functionality.  It might be good
to add those communities to the discussion, as I suspect that suggestion
has lots of merit as an example of how people enjoy using hypertext.

There are some nice hints of this in:

I don't think any of the various RSS flavors use XLink directly, though
there have been enough of them that I may have missed it.

Intriguingly, RSS doesn't mess around with putting link URIs in
attributes much; it's got full-blown link and url elements.  (RDF
information in RSS 1.0 certainly uses URIs in attributes, however.)

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid: is another possibility altogether