RE: last call comments, usage of IRI rather than URI

From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:37:47 GMT
To: julian.reschke@greenbytes.de
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, xml-names-editor@w3.org

> It has been demonstrated that using IRI (refs) as namespace names breaks
> existing XML applications (such as XML Schema, schemaLocation attribute) and
> APIs (JAXP). I'd like to understand why this isn't considered a problem.

IRIs that contain spaces can't be used with the schemaLocation
attribute, but IRIs in general can, as far as I can see.  It seems to
me that IRIs with spaces have disadvantages in other contexts too (eg
in plain text), and that we should either not allow spaces in IRIs or
live with the problem, rather than not using IRIs at all.

-- Richard