Re: Let's get some principles nailed down

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:05:49 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:

>Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
>> >I presume we agree that applications should not attribute
>significance
>> >to the difference between:
>>
>> Most applications will not; some applications may.  It is frequently
>> convenient to ignore that difference.
>
>Have to think about it some more, but I think it is incorrect and
>dangerous for application behavior to depend on such a difference -
>with the single possible exception of applications of the
>document-editing class. -Tim

I don't know what your criteria for "document-editing class" are, but my
latest project is a context-aware processor for working with XML as
text.  Attribute quoting styles are among the many bits of text
included.  (It's the next-generation of my Gorille work for XML 1.1
etc.)

I don't expect pure _consumers_ of XML to care about the difference, but
there's lots of machine-editors or processors that might usefully care.

Ruling it out as dangerous seems to me like we've forgotten about how
cool it really is that XML's a text-based format with some room for
variation.
--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!