Re: proposed TAG issue: future web architecture

In a message dated 19/11/2002 20:24:59 GMT Standard Time, M.D.Wilson@rl.ac.uk
writes:

> TAG members
>
> It was stated at the AC meeting today that the TAG wanted to hear requests
> from AC memebers of issues to address. The issues I would like to see
> addressed all group as the future web architecture:
>
> what is the current modular structure of the W3C recommendations and their
> interactions ?

Professor Wilson,

One issue which many in the XML community are concerned about is the design
of W3C XML Schema which seems, to at least several of us, to be inadequately
modular and to impact adversely on interoperability.

W3C XML Schema has caused a significant amount of hostility in parts of the
XML community due to its imposition in other specifications. This process,
which I tactlessly refer to as "schema fascism", is unsatisfactory and
unwelcome. If W3C XML Schema were fully modular the adverse effects would be
substantially alleviated.

I would therefore request the TAG and AC to review how W3C XML Schema can be
improved so that it is fully modular.

I am aware that version 1.1 of W3C XML Schema is under consideration but, to
the best of my knowledge, version 1.1 is unlikely fully to address the
deficiencies of and problems caused by W3C XML Schema 1.0. I have in mind a
much more fundamental review which examines how W3C XML Schema can be made
truly modular.

I hope that the TAG and the AC have the vision to approach this suggestion
with vigour.

Regards

Andrew Watt
"XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement
yesterday's technology tomorrow"