Re: Let's get some principles nailed down

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:13:57 -0800
To: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Miles Sabin wrote:

> >Every particular namespace is "for" something in particular. XHTML is
> >for hypertext, MathML for mathematics, SVG for scalable graphics, RDF
> >for resource descriptions, etc.
> That's not what it says in the Namespace REC.

The point of best practice documentation is to go beyond what the RECs
say. If you can't find an example of a namespace lacking in semantics,
then it seems true of real world usage, no matter what the REC says.

> In any case, what you really want here is documentation of the XHTML,
> MathML, SVG etc. document types. That documentation already has URIs
> ... which aren't the same as their respective namespace identifiers.
If you follow these URIs, you _will_ find very relevant documentation:

RDF, on the other hand, has machine-readable data rather than documentation:

I am in favour of Tim Bray's proposal to establish a convention of
providing both. I have not yet seen a namespace that would not benefit
from human readable documentation as a referent. But I am willing to
allow for the existence of such a namespace by making the principle a
SHOULD rather than a MUST.

  Paul Prescod