Re: My action on namespaces

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:30:40 -0800
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, www-tag@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:

> Here is my much belated draft of some text on namespaces[1] for the
> architecture document.

I think that this is great work!

In order to add some content to this message I would also suggest you
say something about the fact that even after a RDDL document is provided
for a URI, an XML processor or other agent has no responsibility to
dereference a namespace URI unless it needs information that it doesn't
have locally and wants to look for it through the namespace URI's
representation.

There is a common sort of fallacy that goes: "if there is a document
provided at a URI it becomes your responsibility to get it." This leads
to the fallacy that the reference needs to state whether there is a
referent or not so that you can decide whether to dereference or not.
But in reality you dereference if you need to (or want to) and don't if
you don't. The web server's owner's intent is irrelevant.

  Paul Prescod