Re: [Issue fragmentInXML-28] Use of fragment identifiers in XML

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:20:50 -0800
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

> Dear www-tag,
>
> Issue fragmentInXML-28 [1] was been accepted by the TAG at their
> 28 Oct 2002 teleconference [2].
>
> Do fragment identifiers refer to a syntactice element (at least for XML
> content), or can they refer to abstractions?
>
> Example from 17.2.2 SVG fragment identifiers:
>
>    MyDrawing.svg#svgView(viewBox(0,200,1000,1000))

another example:

home.xfm#frames(a=one.xhtml,b=two.xhtml,c=three.xhtml)

As an old Grover, I am disconcerted by the use of fragment identifiers for:

  * display view specification (as in XFrames and SVG)
  * transformational processes (like the fragid-to-trigger XInclude
proposal)
  * leaping from the domain of protocol and syntax to abstraction (as in
many RDF examples)

It seems to me that the poor #-sign is a hammer and everyone sees it as
the tool for hammering their favourite nail.

  Paul Prescod