Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName in RDF Model?

At 10:37 26/05/2002 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 09:43 AM 2002-05-26, Brian McBride wrote:
> >At 10:34 10/05/2002 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >

> >>There are two related issues:
> >>
> >>1. How to convert a QName into a URIreference  in the general case.
> >>2. A QName may be either an element type name or an attribute type name,
> >>what/which should the URI reference identify?
>
>Are you reminding us that the same textual qName may be used to indicate
>an element type name and an attribute type name -- that there are actually
>two parallel namespaces indexed by the same set of qNames?

Ah, thanks Al, I see.

There are two different problems being considered here.

Some folks want to define URI (ref)'s that correspond to an arbritary qname.

RDF is trying to do something different.  Given I've got a URIREF, e.g.

   http://www.w3.org/....#type

RDF wants to write that down as a qname.

I've got no problem with folks wanting to do the former.  I understood
Jonathan's objection was to RDF's way of doing the latter.  But maybe I've
got the wrong end of the stick.

Brian