Re: Draft registration for application/xenc+xml

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:18:37AM -0400, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 18:26, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> >    @@ Should we include a redundant type parameter of the encrypted
> >    object? @@

I believe that this is more than a good idea, it's a necessity.
Moreover, it should also be a required parameter.

The reason I say this is because an xml-enc intermediary may want to
encrypt some HTML that arrived as text/plain.  If it just gets
encrypted, relabelled as application/xenc+xml, and then forwarded on,
the fact that it was "text/plain" is now lost (it's not redundant),
and the next intermediary to process it must guess the encapsulated
content type.

MB