Re: Shared Information Space

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:55:34 -0400
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, www-tag-request@w3.org
David Orchard writes:

>> The Web uses URIs to identify the resources to be
>> shared, HTTP to transfer the representations of
>> the resources, and a variety of formats and a variety
>> of formats - HTML, JPEG, GIF - as the representation
>> itself.  The REST architectural style encapsulates
>> this notion of a shared information space.

Overall, I like your proposal.  The reference to HTTP seems a bit strong
to me.  Trivially, I think we would include https:.  More generally, I see
the information space as including information available through a variety
of schemes, including perhaps some schemes yet to be invented.  No
disagreement that such schemes should (maybe must) implement a REST model
to be viewed as part of the information space.   I wonder whether it would
be  more appropriate to say something like;  '

The Web is designed to present users with the perception of a shared
information space.  The Web uses URIs to identify the resources to be
shared, REST-compatible protocols such as HTTP to transfer the
representations of the resources, and a variety of formats - HTML, JPEG,
GIF - as the representation itself.  The REST architectural style
encapsulates this notion of a shared information space.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142