Re: TAG document: SOAP HTTP GET binding available

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 11:13:17 -0700
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
Sam Ruby wrote:

> We seem to have a semantic gap here.  Let me start by describing how I use
> various terms, and then perhaps we can bridge this gap.  To me, one does
> not bind one wire format to another.  Instead one binds of an abstract
> definition of a service to (possibly multiple) across-the-wire
> representations.
>
> WSDL can be used to describe web services abstractly

Here's the problem: the protocols are layered.  Which is to say, you can
set up, deploy, and use a Web Service entirely at the SOAP level without
going near WSDL.  Lots of people do this all the time.  Given the
current POST-only binding of SOAP, such services are not visible in URI
space and are thus not good Web citizens.  Dave's proposal is trying to
hellp fiix this.  -Tim