Re: TAG document: SOAP HTTP GET binding available

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 08:35:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-tag@w3.org
If you will permit me, I have a few comments on the document.  For the
moment, I'll limit myself to section 1 and section 1.1.  Depending on the
reception of these comments, I may have more.

Section 1. Introduction

   If the desire is to bind a web service to HTTP GET, then arguably this
   is a web service binding not a SOAP binding.  In fact, the Web Service
   Description Language already includes a number of bindings including
   HTTP GET & POST Binding defined in section 4
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl#_http>.  Section 3 of this document describes
   the SOAP binding, and section 5 describes a MIME binding.

   Perhaps this input could be reformulated as a delta to the existing WSDL
   document?

Section 1.1 Requirements

   "The mapping from SOAP HTTP POST Binding to HTTP GET and back shall be
   automatable.".  This concerns me a bit as HTTP GET is supposed to be
   limited to "safe" operations - see
   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.1.1.  In
   general, this determination is not automatable.  Also, the WSDL bindings
   for the various protocols contain a number of protocol specific elements
   that influence the mapping between the abstract definition of the sevice
   and the formulation of bits that flow across the wire.

- Sam Ruby