Re: Hyperlinks depend on GET (was: Re: REST and the Web)

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:16:20 -0800
To: www-tag@w3.org
Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> > Without GET you don't have hyperlinking.
>
> This is very debatable. HyperText s roughly defined as traversing an
> information resource in a pattern different from that of it's inherent
> structure. You don't need GET for that, what you need is a traversal
> function.... more like a MOVETO or JUMPTO.  I don't need to GET a page,
> because I already have the data.

You don't need GET in closed-system hyperlinking. But I was talking
about the Web and I didn't expect that the statement would be applied to
another context.

> It's also important to remember that hyperlinks, in a general sense,
> are much richer than GET typically allows.

I didn't say that GET gives you everything you'll ever want from
hyperlinking. I said that you need to be able to GET data to traverse
hyperlinks (to data you don't already have).

 Paul Prescod