Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:10:32 -0500 (EST)
To: connolly@w3.org (Dan Connolly)
Cc: timbl@w3.org (Tim Berners-Lee), fielding@apache.org (Roy T. Fielding), www-tag@w3.org ('www-tag')
I agree strongly with Dan and Roy here.

What feature would it take in HTTP to allow it to properly support
identifying cars?  You'd need some sort of assertion declaring a
relationship between a document and a real thing, right?

In other words, we'd need a way to declare that "http://www.markbaker.ca/"
(which identifies me), and "http://www.markbaker.ca/index.html" (which
identifies an HTML representation of me, aka my "home page"), were
related in this manner.

But we already have Content-Location!  And should I ever figure out how
to do more with Apache headers than mod_headers allows, I would enable
this on my web server like so;

HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.markbaker.ca

and