Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function

 Dan, Tim,
 this is a relative outsider's view:

 Any string can be used to identify anything. Any URI is a
string. But,

 on the other hand, HTTP has quite well-defined semantics working
with resources represented or updated by documents, and http:
scheme URLs identify these resources, thus referring to the
document representations.

 Indeed, in XML Namespaces, URIs are used as strings, AFAICS the
URI form is only so that ensuring uniqueness is much easier.
Therefore I understand namespace names not as URIs but as strings
with syntax equal to that of URIs.

 So while a car can be referred to by any string, using an HTTP
URI for that is IMO mistaken.

 Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/