Re: SOAP breaks HTTP?

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> * In general, using SOAP with HTTP is limiting in many ways. Both SOAP
> and HTTP bring lots of benefits: Both are based on providing loosely
> coupled, extensible frameworks (one with a baked in application, the
> other with an emerging set of functionality) but used tied together they
> are less powerful. That they can be used in ways that break the Web
> model (and each other) is not news to anyone but it seems to come with
> the territory when dealing with extensibility.

Here's my gripe. I've never seen a single SOAP web service used on HTTP
that did not violate

a) the semantics defined in the HTTP specification and/or

b) the idea that all web resources should be addressable through a URI.

I've documented in detail, for example, how the UDDI SOAP service
violates these principles:

 * http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/02/06/rest.html?page=2

I've discussed how some other random services from XMethods do the same:

 * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Mar/0080.html

Can you point me to a public, running SOAP-based web service that does
*not* take information that rightfully would have URIs and be "in the
Web information space" and put that information behind a method-based
interface with no addressability?

 Paul Prescod