Defining the Web

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:42:50 -0500 (EST)
To: connolly@w3.org (Dan Connolly)
Cc: simonstl@simonstl.com (Simon St.Laurent), www-tag@w3.org
> The bit you excerpted does, but you clipped perhaps
> the most relevant part:
>
>   Web Architecture is the set of rules that all agents in
>   the system follow that result in the large-scale effect
>   of a shared information space.

I tend to agree with Simon.  "set of rules" as a forward reference to
the rest of the document, doesn't make for a great opening, IMO.  I
think we could try and distill the core rules (identity, generic
interface) for this opening.

How about replacing that first paragraph with;

  The World Wide Web ("Web") is a networked information space which
  encompasses all things with identity ("resources").  Resources are
  made accessible, and potentially manipulable, via a generic interface
  whose application semantics are applicable to all resources.

MB