RE: "canonical" URIs

Paul,

I'm a little confused here.

The facts, as I understand them:
1. XML Namespaces spec defines equivalence rules for URIs in namespace
names, not any URIs in an XML document.
2. XML Namespaces requires URIs to be absolute.
3. anyURI can be a URI References
4. RFC 2396 section 6 says that URI and URI reference equivalence is scheme
based.
5. RFC 2396 provides absolutization rules for URI references, including base
URI values.
6. RFC 2616 section 3.2.3 says what the rules are for http schemed URIs.

Are you saying that XML Schema is using XML Namespace Name rules rather than
RFC 2616 and 2396 when evaluating URI references?

What I was suggesting is that anyURI comparision should default to the 2616
rules, and I think you are saying that Schema uses Namespace Name rules.
These seem to be in contradiction.

Also, I think that the application view of anyURI equivalence could be
different than the schema view.  An xml app, like XLink/XInclude/XEnc/DSig,
would want to do equivalence for it's own purposes and under it's control.
I think that's where Joseph and Stephen's question is coming from.  I know
it came up in XLink and XInclude.

Cheers,
Dave