RE: Draft agenda: 24 June TAG teleconference (Arch document, WSA update)

I am not a super-expert in WSDL, and in any case don't have time to figure
out all the specifics of David's concern.  One clarification does seem to
be in order though:

David Orchard writes:

>  The WSDL 1.1 GET binding with query parameters -
> the type suggested by the SOAP 1.2 specification
> for GET - does not provide any mechanism for
> expressing the syntactice schema of the types
> expressed in the GET query.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that any particular WSDL
mechanism is "suggested" by SOAP 1.2.  The new versions of the SOAP drafts
say [1]:

        "Note:

        Conventions for specific URI encodings of
        procedure names and arguments, as well as
        for controlling the inclusion of such
        arguments in the SOAP RPC body could
        be established in conjunction with the
        development of Web Service interface
        description languages, could be developed
        when SOAP is bound to particular
        programming languages, or could be
        established on an application or
        procedure-specific basis.'

There is no reference to any particular Web Services interface language,
and certainly not to any particular "binding" that happens to be available
in today's versions of WSDL.  The note above is a signal to groups such as
the WSDL working group that they may wish to consider development of
bindings from (the resource identifying aspects of) RPC interface
descriptions into various URL schemes.  In fact, there is (as far as I can
tell) no normative reference from the SOAP drafts to WSDL at all.  There
is certainly no presumption that some existing WSDL HTTP binding would be
the one to use (though you certainly can if it meets your needs.)

So, I have some concern that you may be raising to the Tag concerns which
are based on at least a partial misunderstanding of what the Protocols WG
has agreed to.  Thank you.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/10/11/soap12-part2.html#RPCWebArguments

One Rogers Street