RE: Potential new issue: PSVI considered harmful

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@topologi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:02:37 +1000
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

I agree with Tim Bray (and perhaps Noah Mendelson, in part) that the PSVI should
be renamed.

* First because it may not be PSV, as he says.

* Second because it does not have a relationship-preserving re-serialization to XML (except
of course by stripping out the augmentations and requiring validation again) and therefore
is non-XML. PSVI does not draw out this discontinuity enough.

* Third because "Schema" is a codeword for W3C XML Schemas, but other
schema languages could be used.

I think "Type-augmented Infoset" could be improved, though, because it is
not just that there is additional information added to some notional XML information set,
it is that there are non-XML information items added.  The XML Information Set
spec generally uses "Information Item" to mean an instance rather than a type, so
"augmented" is not very satisfactory.  I suggest just "Typed InfoSet."

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe