XLINK, HLINK or neither? Possible new TAG issue

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:00:43 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

Martin Dürst mentioned, in response to the last call for the speech
grammar draft, that there is a question as to whether for any URI
parameter, xlink:href should be used.

There was a note in later discussions that the HTML working group are
working on a "HLINK" spec for describing xlink functionality as a schema
annotation level solution to thius, just as several times we have looked
at schema annotation as a compromise between RDF syntax and no semantics
at all.

For me this questions depends on whether the document type is a
human-readable hypertext document, when  generic hypertext xml tools
would benefit from knowing what is a link, and whether significance of
the URI in question is a hypertext link or something different.

Maybe the TAG should give some direction in this area.

Tim BL