Re: Potential new issue: PSVI considered harmful

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:00:47 -0400
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

Tim Bray wrote:
[[
>> 4. Work on XQuery and other things that require a Type-Augmented
>> Infoset must not depend on schema processing, and should not have
>> normative linkages to any schema language specifications.

On further consideration, I probably would back off my statement above;
for example, it seems just fine to refer to the XMl schema basic type
repertoire (or hopefully, a subset of it) by reference.  The problem
that worries me here is where typing information comes from, and the
supposition that types exist only as a side-effect of validation
processing. -Tim

]]

I agree completely. Sometimes you just need to know what the type of some
piece of XML, or character string, is, not how you arrived at that
conclusion.

Jonathan