Re: Dissent: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:51:21 -0400
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
cc: reagle@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

> I see no reason why a brief registration document should not defer to a W3C
> spec for the primary definition of a W3C-defined standard content-type.

nor do I.  furthermore, processing the registration document in parallel
with the spec, rather than sequentially, will probably speed things up
considerably - which also argues for separating the registration document
from the specification.

> but my understanding is that such a document could make normative reference
> to a W3C specification for its normative content.  RFC 2026 says:
> [[
> 7.1.1  Incorporation of an Open Standard
>
>     An Internet Standard TS or AS may incorporate an open external
>     standard by reference.  For example, many Internet Standards
>     incorporate by reference the ANSI standard character set "ASCII" [2].
>     Whenever possible, the referenced specification shall be available
>     online.
> ]]
>
> and I have received indication in another context that W3C recommendations
> qualify as "open standards" for the purposes of RFC 2026.

Indeed, this has been the understanding for a long time.

Keith