Re: Dissent: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:14:16 -0500
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
To: reagle@w3.org

On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 11:53  AM, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> Consequently, I disagree with this finding and prefer that the media
> type
> registration proceed as specified in RFC2048; a W3C specification SHOULD
> reference the IETF document.

I feel the same way. We're coming up against this problem in the RDF
Core Working Group. I think it's silly to add seven pages of IETF
boilerplate and registration information to our syntax specification. I
think that our spec should simply reference the IETF registration and
note the mime type that should be used.

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]