TAG comments on Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0

From: Norman.Walsh@w3.org, on behalf of the TAG <Norman.Walsh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:26:00 -0400
To: www-i18n-comments@w3.org
CC: www-tag@w3.org

At the 03 June 2002 telcon[1], the TAG resolved to accept Chris
Lilley's comments[2] on the character model document[3] as our
collective comments with the following amendment:

We believe that specifications SHOULD NOT add rules for character
encoding beyond what is provided in XML. They MUST NOT restrict
character sets beyond what XML allows. In other words, the TAG
disagrees with the current wording of the recommendation at the
beginning of section 3.6 that says a specification should mandate a
unique encoding. We believe a specification must not mandate a single
encoding to the exclusion of UTF8/16.

For some machine-to-machine routing protocol, we accept that
restricting the encoding to UTF8/16 would be acceptable. But for
specifications designed for editing by humans (such as MathML), we
believe that this restriction should not be imposed.

This message discharges the TAG issue charmodReview-17[4]

                                    On behalf of the TAG,
                                          norm

[1] Minutes not yet available
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002May/0164.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-charmod-20020430/
[4] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#charmodReview-17

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | It is not impossibilities which fill us with
XML Standards Engineer | the deepest despair, but possibilities which