RE: httpRange proposed text

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:22:50 +0100
To: "'Joshua Allen'" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>, "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: "'Tim Berners-Lee'" <timbl@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>

> Joshua Allen:
> A) URIs intended to be unambiguous identifiers, and people
> are advised to respect that.
> B) People are advised to avoid X, Y, Z because that would
> violate principle "A".

Exactly. Follow this principle to the letter (though if it were an axiom
would we have a choice?), but make allowances for the fact that others
might not, for various reasons and accidents, and that ambiguity can't
be either outlawed or designed out of, a system the size the web. We
can't even do that for formal systems. The text could be a variant on
being strict in what you send and forgiving in what you receive. but
applied higher up in the web layer cake.

Bill de hÓra

ps: And a small request, can we stop calling people who don't follow
this principle stupid or not sane? ;)