Re: fragment identifiers

Dan Connolly wrote:

> Whether http URIs can identify cars and such or not isn't observable
> from the HTTP protocol itself.

Indeed.  And given that the server can decide to send back whatever it
$#^!%#&!@ well wants to (and I've written a lot of server code that uses
some *very* non-obvious inputs in deciding what to emit in response to a
URI)...

And given that outside of RDF, the Web architecture has no built-in way
at all to talk about what a resource "is"...

the only world-view that makes sense to me is what my section 1.1 draft
says, a resource is just whatever it happens to be, you can get
representations of it by asking (sometimes), and you can make assertions
about it regardless of whatever it "is", whatever "is" means, whatever
"means" means, and neatly dodge all the metaphysical bushwah.

And the more I think about it, the less I can believe in any special
distinguished status or limitations for HTTP URIs, aside from noting the
obvious fact that they have the useful advantage of a well-defined
builtin protocol for requesting/receiving representations.  -Tim