RE: [deepLinking-25] What to say in defense of principle that deep linking is not an illegal act?

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:03:21 +0100
To: "'Joshua Allen'" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>, "'Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)'" <clbullar@ingr.com>, "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>, "'Lucas Gonze'" <lgonze@panix.com>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

> On Behalf Of Joshua Allen
>
> Problem: a few people, including media and possibly political
> decision-makers, have become confused about some very basic
> principles.
>
> Solution:  Reiterate the principles.

Ideal solution: kill the surfing metaphor.

> 1) A URL is given to a page so that people can hyperlink
> globally and directly to it.

All URIs are... URIs. We don't have okey-dokey-RIs and
you-can't-remember-this-RIs, it-depends-on-who-you-are-RIs or
it-depends-on-our-business-model-RIs. A URI is in a global namespace,
period. Unfortunately, cue defences that ape the Namespaces rationale:
you can't link to this because it's not a URI, it just has the syntax of
a URI; where 'link' strongly implies memoize for later download.

> 3) If someone does not want a page to be linked globally or
> directly, that is fine.  Nobody forces them to give the page a URL.

Yes.

> 4) By design and in practice, assigning a URL to a web page
> is a contract with the world which says "please hyperlink to me".

No. Say you are invited to retrieve a representation. Hyperlinking is
muddied with the surfing metaphor.

> 5) This contract can be revoked at any time by a page owner.

How? The revocation cannot be enforced without force of law, if even
that. The web by definition doesn't provide backlinks.

> 6) If a person wishes to provide content in a manner that
> does not involve direct and global linking, there are plenty
> of options available besides URLs.

Yes, and I'd take a harder line. If a person wishes to provide content
in a manner that does not involve the implications of the URI, there are
options other than the Web. The TAG as I recall accepted a few months
back that having a URI put something on the Web.

regards,
Bill de hÓra