RE: Context Independent URI

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:01:54 +0100
To: "'Dare Obasanjo'" <dareo@microsoft.com>, "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Dare,

> Why are you getting your information from an old RFC?

Simply because I looked in the IANA registry for URI schemes and RFC1738 is
the one that it references for the file: URI scheme.

That said, if I'd visited the RFC index I'd have found:

1738 Uniform Resource Locators (URL). T. Berners-Lee, L. Masinter, M.
     McCahill. December 1994. (Format: TXT=51348 bytes) (Updated by
     RFC1808, RFC2368, RFC2396) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

RFC1738 has not been obsoleted and still seems to be the main reference at
least for the file: URI scheme.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

Regards

Stuart Williams