Re: httpRange-14 , what's the problem

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, at 03:47  PM, Joshua Allen wrote:
>> "for all http URI x, x identifies document"
>> is false if there exists one http URI for which it is false.  Well,
>
> I hope TAG recognizes that this is a specious strawman argument which
> Roy set up so that he could declare:
>
>> Therefore, the assertion is false and this discussion is over.  If the
>
> Too bad nobody made that assertion.  I will repeat verbatim:
>
> "2. Everyone also agrees that "http: URIs" should be strongly preferred
> for identifying resources, IF those resources are most naturally dealt
> with through transfers of representational state.  (In other words, if
> you envision interacting with the resource primarily through a web
> browser UI and synchronous request+response pairs, use the http:
> scheme)"

That's not the assertion that TimBL gave me, nor is it the assertion that
was being discussed on the RDF list.  It is your summary of a range of
views.

>> It merely proves that the arguments made about the range of http being
>> limited are simply false and do not deserve any more of our time.
>
> You seem to be agreeing, though that it certainly does NOT prove that
> http is UNLIMITED.  Everyone agrees that http: identifiers *could* be
> used for everything.  It's the *should* part that people are arguing
> about.

Then the argument is a waste of time anyway, since it doesn't prevent
RDF from having to deal with those resources that are not documents.

>> This is not, in any way, a suggestion that all resources should be in
>> the http scheme space.
>
> I am glad you agree.  I believe that my earlier points 1 and 2 are the
> most sensible guidance we can give people about when they should choose
> to use http identifiers.

I don't.  I believe that people should use whatever identifier that THEY
think is most useful.

....Roy