Re: xlink:href

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:33:55 +0200
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>, "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>

> PP> XLink might be a little bit more interesting if it was used everywhere
>
> Sure, if XHTML had used it and if SMIL 2 had used it instead of
> copying XHTML, then that would start to be an interesting corpus of
> technologies that all did linking the same way. No disagreement there.

I think it is wrong to characterise the HTML and SYMM groups as some sort of
villains in this piece. It just demonstrates the importance of reaching
consensus in the specification-making process. Both WGs reported many times
that the linking group were not addressing their issues, and the linking
group seriously suggested that HTML should not use XLink since HTML already
had perfectly useful and successful linking constructs (I'll dig out the URL
if you are interested). The HTML WG did not agree with this approach, but
there you are. If a WG doesn't listen to its clients, it will produce a
product that doesn't match the requirements of it.

Steven Pemberton
Chair, HTML WG