Re: QNames and the XPointer namespace scheme

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 13:39:07 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

/ Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| At 12:33 PM -0400 7/8/02, Norman Walsh wrote:
|>XPointers in a document do use the in-scope namespaces. One could also
|>use the xmlns() scheme in those pointers (because they aren't
|>forbidden), but it's never necessary to do so.
| Actually, they don't. They only use the xmlns() schema mappings.
| In-scope namespaces from the parent and ancestor elements do not apply.

That's not what the impression I get when I read the CR[1]:

   This evaluation is carried out within a context identical to the
   XPath evaluation context, except for the generalization of nodes to
   locations. XPointer applications must initialize the evaluation
   context as described in this section before evaluating an XPtrExpr.

So all the in-scope namespaces are there. Later it says:

   A set of namespace declarations, described in 5.2.1 Namespace Initialization .

which I take to mean that the xmlns() scheme bindings are also there.
But I still don't think they're necessary.

I think XPointer would be fundamentally broken if only xmlns()
bindings were available in the XPointer.

                                        Be seeing you,

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-xptr-20010911/#context

Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | It is necessary to try to surpass oneself
XML Standards Architect | always; this occupation ought to last as long
Sun Microsystems, Inc.  | as life.--Christina, Queen of Sweden