RE: TB16 Re: Comments on arch doc draft

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]
Sent: Tue 7/2/2002 9:31 AM
To: www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Re: TB16 Re: Comments on arch doc draft

>> This seems fine to me.  But for God's sake let's make sure any guidance
>> on this makes it very clear that this is a namespace *name*, and
>> although it may function as a stand-in for the namespace URI, it is
>> *not* the URI.

>I can find no distinction in any normative prose anywhere between
>"namespace name" and "namespace URI".  -Tim

a.) Just because the W3C working groups have overlooked the difference does not mean one does not exist

b.) I haven't seen any normative prose where the term "namespace name" is normatively linked with "namespace URI" nor can I find one where "namespace URI" is normatively designed. XQuery, XPath and XSLT use "namespace URI" while XML Schema and Namespaces in XML use "namespace name". The XML infoset REC uses both terms interchangeably and I'm sure there may be others that do but where are both terms normatively described and linked?