Re: Background information on GET and XForms (was: GET should be encouraged...)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 11:57:31 -0600
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>, w3c-forms@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org
On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 10:38, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> > If what you claim is true, GET+URL-encoding shouldn't be allowed
> > either... the queries should be mapped into the URI space instead.
>
> By definition, it *is* a mapping into the URI space! But I do feel it
> would be very helpful if there were an easy way to use forms to build
> arbitrary URIs. Something like this would be useful:
>
> http://www.webhistory.org/www.lists/www-talk.1994q3/1065.html

Ah... good... that's older than any pending patent...
it occurred to me, while I was brushing my teeth or something
the other day, that while we're tweaking url-encoding to be UTF-8,
we might as well do this sort of string-interpolation while we're
at it. It would eliminate the need for server-side processing for
a lot of "pick from a list of links" sorts of form applications.

Then I started worrying about patents and stuff... good to
know the idea is published.

> I haven't formally asked for support for this in XForms because it is
> not fair to add requirements so late.

I suppose so.