Re: Background information on GET and XForms (was: GET should be encouraged...)

On Monday 28 January 2002 04:04 pm, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> In the future, this does call for a new GET-with-body or QUERY or
> whatever you like to call it, which would be defined as an operation
> without side effects (a function) of both the URI  and the
> message body.

GET is (largely) defined that way in HTTP 1.1. The spec does not deny
the body of a GET request. Also HTTP 1.0 allowed it, and HTTP 1.1
claims to be backwardly compatible.

Some clarification of semantics *would* be nice to have though.

> (I prefer QUERY to an adaptation of GET, myself).

Shades of HTTP2... I prefer this too... though I wonder about the
impact on proxies and firewalls.