Re: Background information on GET and XForms (was: GET should be encouraged...)

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:22:11 -0500
To: <w3c-forms@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, i18n@w3.org
On Sunday 27 January 2002 08:23 am, Martin Duerst wrote:
> The fact that 'urlencoded' is the only thing that currently works
> well with GET is largely a result of early incomplete
> implementations and deployment dependencies.

Yep. An accident of history, more or less. I think the "bookmarking"
capability of GET+forms-data to be a useful side-effect... but such
functionality can be grandfathered.

> As far as I understand, there is nothing against GET with body,
> and it should be seriously considered for XForms.

While I think I was the one that really tried getting this accepted a
long time ago ('95 maybe?), I'm somewhat ambivalent now. It met a lot
of resistance then from HTTP folk....

> The current encoding is not OS-specific. The encoding of the page
> that contains the form is used.

Is this true of all modern browsers?

> This may in some cases coincide with
> the encoding of the OS that the page is served from, but that's not
> at all necessary.

...and not overly useful to transcoding servers (sorry Martin! I
couldn't resist). The way here is clear anyway... any efforts we can
make toward reducing the number of encodings should be made.