Re: Background information on GET and XForms (was: GET should be encouraged...)

From: Shakeel Mahate <shakeelmahate@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:39:20 -0500
To: paul@prescod.net, duerst@w3.org
Cc: MDubinko@cardiff.com, w3c-forms@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org, i18n@w3.org

Paul Prescod wrote

>I do not believe this is the case. The semantic of GET is "here is a URI
>identifying a resource. Please get it for me." A body makes no sense in
>that context. It would be analogous to sending a body with a SQL query.
>The fact that GET does not take a body forces information designers to
>organize their databases in an addressable form (as the relational model
>forces you into tables).

Wouldnt the following analogy be better for GET requests:

If you compare GET requests to a SELECT SQL query the body is the WHERE
clause, and we need effecient mechanism to transport the WHERE clause.

The current options are urlencoded requests.

Whereas we need an effecient mechanism to send the WHERE clause using the
HTTP protocol

-Shakeel