Re: Media types

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:19:24 -0800
To: www-tag@w3.org, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org, mura034@attglobal.net
At 04:11 PM 17/01/02 -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
>Almost exactly what I was thinking.  My strawman media type was
>application/xmlns-dispatch+xml (not very catchy, I know).

None of the arguments I've read here lead me to see this as
a value-add over application/xml.  It seems we think that
applications should when processing XML resources dispatch
based on namespaces... except when they can't, which I guess
is the point of the worry about XSLT.

Before launching the quest for a new media type, I think
we need a clearer explanation of the use case where this
is used and application/xml or anything/anything+xml isn't
appropriate, and why. -Tim