RE: Re: Fwd: Three bits on MediaTypes and IANA

Joseph,

There are some people who wish that IANA would keep
www.iana.org organized in a way that URLs of the
form "http://www.iana.org/.../media-types/..." could
be used as abstract URIs to identify MIME media types.

However, there is no policy that IANA should do so;
IANA is free to maintain its web site as it sees fit
as a convenience to those who would look up registration
information informally, without any constraint about
the structure of the URLs used within it.

I, Graham Klyne, Ted Hardie and Michael Mealling did a
complete review of the IANA directory to see what
might be used to create URIs for IANA-registered protocol
elements, the results of which are at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-iana-urn-02.txt

After considerable reflection and discussion with IANA,
it seemed inappropriate to try to change IANA's work practice
for organizing its published information merely to create URLs
that would be useful for other purposes.

Personally, I believe this reflects the common confusion
between 'the stuff in a web site' and 'the concept described
by that stuff'; cf 'tdb' vs 'duri' in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt.

For the particular purpose of identifying a complete
media type designation including parameters and
parameter values, Eastlake's 'content-type' scheme in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-cturi-03.txt
seems just right.