XSLT and namespace dispatch

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:58:40 -0500 (EST)
To: paul@prescod.net (Paul Prescod)
Cc: gtn@rbii.com (Gavin Thomas Nicol), www-tag@w3.org
> I don't understand what you are saying. Nobody is talking about a
> universal processor. What I'm hearing is that people want to sniff the
> namespace (either from the MIME header or the XML itself) and then
> *choose* an XML processor based on the namespace. XSLT stylesheets with
> an HTML root-element are one example where this would not work.

Not if these stylesheets were described with an XSLT specific media
type.  Unfortunately, the XSLT Rec has already let that cat out of the
bag[1] by requiring */xml be used.  This puts a damper on our ability to
define consistent namespace dispatch behaviour for the */xml types.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Introduction (last paragraph)

MB