RE: Re[2]: Clark's commentary

Hi David,

Well... I'll dip my toe in the water here, but would make no claim to XML
guru status.

You ask what we believe is being used or imminently profileable on xml 2.0
which gives me a little problem interpreting the presense of letter, - or ?
in the table. Whether the presense of a letter signifies use, which perhaps
affords a level of protection to a 'feature' or profileable which perhaps
leaves the feature under threat of being rendered optional... a carbuncle to
be profile out...

Namespaces, XML base, XML 1.0 DTDs, entities, IDs , Schema, PSs (P) all seem
to meet needs for some application and seem to be unnecessary for others but
in some sense all are being used.

Infoset feels kind of different in that its abstract and seems to be more a
tool for writing specifications. I like the way that the recent RDF syntax
WD [1] has cast its grammar infoset terms.

Don't know about XInclude.

So on the basis of usage I think my line would be:

StuartW: NFBDEISP-? (which seems a little vacuous).

And on the basis of profileable:

StuartW: N?BD--SPTC

? on Infoset because I don't know what it would mean to profile infoset in
or out. I can conceive of its effect on a specification more than i can
conceive of its effect on the resulting technology. -'s on enities and IDs
because my gut feel is that you can't profile those out.

Regards

Stuart
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20011218/